Interdisciplinary Conference September 2021
The interdisciplinary conference that was initially planned for September 2020 had to be postponed to 23 and 24 September 2021.
The conference will be opened on 23 September at 10.00, followed by a keynote speech by Prof. Stephen Pinker (Harvard University) about Human Nature and the Decline of War.
In the afternoon of 23 September and the in the morning of 24 September, there will be seconds on
- Norm Violations and Punishment in International Politics
- Transgenerational Transfer of Trauma
- The Social Ecology of Trust and Peace versus Distrust and Aggression
- The Distributed Work of Warfare
A final panel will bring together academics and practitioners to discuss the state and future of peace and conflict research. Confirmed speakers are
Prof. Jolle Demmers (Utrecht University)
Miriam Spruyk, PAX
Prof. Jaap de Wilde (University of Groningen)
Hans van der Jagt, Ministry of Defense
The final panel will be chaired by Wolfgang Wagner (VU).
On 12 December 2019. Prof. Scott Shapiro (Yale University) presented and discussed his book “The Internationalists” (co-authored with Oona Hathaway).
In the spring of 2018, PACS organized and video-recorded a series of lectures on key issues in peace and conflict research that can be viewed here:
- IOVIS Peace & Conflict Lecture 1: Democratic Politics and Military Missions
- IOVIS Peace & Conflict Lecture 2: The Psychology of Negotiation and Conflict Management
- IOVIS Peace & Conflict Lecture 3: New Wars, Terrorism and Peace-building in the 21st Century
- IOVIS Peace & Conflict Lecture 4: Psychosocial Consequences of War-related Trauma